Ginseng, true ginseng from Asia, has been part of traditional medicine since ancient times. It was considered a panacea – something that would help in all situations. Anecdotal evidence supported its boost to physical and mental health. Research conducted in the 20th century supported many of these claims.
There are a few plants that use the name Ginseng. But this is misleading as only the Asian variety is true Ginseng. The other plants are related, may have some solid health benefits, but are ultimately different. Even with true Ginseng there several variations in the end product. But this is due to the aged when harvested, and whether the product is processed into tea, jelly or powdered form. Fresh Ginseng has been grown for 4 years. White Ginseng is grown for up to 6 years. Red Ginseng has been harvested after 7 years growth. This red Ginseng is the most potent.
Asian Ginseng has many benefits, including an invigorating effect. The plant often called American Ginseng has a relaxing effect. But both will benefit the immune system.
- Antioxidants in Ginseng reduce inflammation.
- Memory, concentration, and clear thinking
- Tends to stabilise mood. A week of more of Ginseng increased feelings of calmness and wellbeing.
- Boosts the immune system. We are less likely to get ill, and recovery is more rapid.
- May enhance vaccination.
- It may reduce the risks of some cancers, though this is hard to confirm.
- Seems to lower blood sugar both in diabetics and non-diabetics.
- It provides stable energy, and reduces fatigue.
There are a few warnings to be given with Ginseng
- Ginseng may interfere with blood thinning medications.
- It is not recommended for pregnant or nursing women as its effects here are unknown.
- After long term use the body seems to receive less benefits from Ginseng.
Korean Red Ginseng is perhaps the most potent form of Ginseng. This is due to both the plant being true Ginseng, and the fact it is harvested after 7 years of growth.
Shop Korean Red Ginseng
Ginseng benefits our physical health, mood and cognitive function. 7 year aged Korean red ginseng is the most potent type.